Chuyển đến nội dung chính

SWORD OF SOTER by @RaleneBurke w/ @PrismBookTours #GuestPost #SOSPrism #Giveaway

On Tour with Prism Book Tours Sword of Soter (Sacred Armor Trilogy #2) By Ralene Burke YA Fantasy, Christian Paperback & ebook, 275 Pages September 25th 2019 by Elk Lake Publishing Inc NEW KINGDOM. NEW FRIENDS. NEW DANGERS. NOT EVERYONE CAN BE TRUSTED … Karina, Tristian, Rashka, and Sam venture forth into the wilderness of Soter on the next leg of their quest to retrieve the Armor of the Creator. With the ancient evil already affecting the kingdom, nothing in Soter is what it seems—from what skulks beneath the canopies of the woods to what lies within the sleek white and gold of the capitol city to the people Karina and Tristan have known since they were children. Danger lurks around every corner. Discerning who to trust is paramount to staying alive and discovering the location of the Temple of Soter. Yet, to Karina’s horror, Faramos’s reach finds them time and again. The longer they are forced to dawdle, the more people are affected by the growing panic in Soter, and the ...

The Secret

Book Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were LiarsTitle: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Series:  Standalone
Pages:  225
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Date of Publication: 15th May, 2014
Source: Publisher for review*
Synopsis from Goodreads:

We are the Liars.

We are beautiful, privileged and live a life of carefree luxury.

We are cracked and broken.

A story of love and romance.

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?


My Thoughts:
I knew very little about We Were Liars before I read it. Really, all I knew was that this book is the current big thing and so when I got an email about the live read that took place this weekend, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy if possible to take part. I actually think that knowing relatively little made me enjoy it even more, since I literally had no idea what I was walking into, and I think that the mystery and slight uneasiness you feel when reading since nothing quite seems to sit right and fit together nicely, only adds to the reading experience.

As I mentioned, I read We Were Liars as part of a global live read along that happened on Twitter, using the hashtag #liarsliveread. If you head on over to Twitter and search that you'll get a whole load of tweets about people's reactions to the story as they reached certain pages. Reading along with the rest of the world was great fun and I loved seeing other people having slight 'what the hell is going here?!' moments at exactly the same time as I did. So perhaps my review is a little biased based on that, but whatever :P The book would have been FAB anyway.

E. Lockhart throws us straight in at the deep end with We Were Liars. Cadence, our main character, has been in an accident but we don't know what happened or where or why. We're kept in the dark for a while as the story builds up and while it was frustrating not knowing what happened, it only made me more eager to read on in order to find out. The plot is SUPER TWISTY and I frequently found myself a little bit lost as to what the hell was going on. It's so easy to read and I understood everything, it just didn't make much sense, plot-wise. It is called, We Were LIARS, after all, so it's really difficult to work out what's the truth and what's just another lie. It definitely makes for really interesting reading!

There are A WHOLE LOT of characters in We Were Liars. Like, a lot. The Sinclair family is huge and it did take me quite a long time to get to grips with all them and who was related to whom (well they're (almost) all related, but they're cousins and aunts and grandchildren so it took a while to work out who they all were in relation to each other, if that makes sense.) and where they all lived etc. Luckily though, there's a handy map and family tree at the beginning of the novel that I could keep referring back to, which made things a lot easier (and let's face it - maps and family trees just make books BETTER, right? Right! ;) )

I really liked Cadence. It took a while for me to warm to her, since she most definitely has a flair for the dramatic (which is immediately seen on page five - WOH.) and at first I found it a little grating. As the book went on however I warmed to her and began to understand her and why she was that way. I felt I could connect to her pain because she suffers from severe migraines, and if you were following me on Twitter about a year and a half ago you may know that I also have been diagnosed with migraines and stress-induced tension headaches. They're actually very manageable now but every so often I'll get a migraine that'll knock me out for a day or two. They can be agonisingly painful and while I would not exactly describe it as someone bringing an axe to my head and cracking open my skull as Cadence does, I could completely sympathise with the frustration and the pain she must have been feeling since, like me, there was nothing wrong with her brain physically and it's all psychological, which only makes it worse since you know that it's only YOU that's causing these headaches yet you cannot seem to escape them. So while she was very dramatic, I could totally understand and that made me feel closer to her and root for her even more.

I don't want to say too much in a bid to not give anything away, but the end is like WHAT THE...?! I've seen this described as mind-f and yeah, I would totally agree with that. When you finally reach Part Five, entitled Truth, just take a deep breath and brace yourself for the last thing you're expecting. It's a shocker, let me tell you! It's written so well though that it totally works. Completely.

Overall I was surprised and confused by We Were Liars but in the best way possible. It played with my mind and totally threw me with all the lies and deceit that by the end, it's almost impossible to determine what on Earth is going on. However, it's so cleverly done and so well written that it's not weird or disjointed in the slightest, as can sometimes happen with an overly complicated plot. Now, I recommend that you go get yourself a copy of We Were Liars as soon as you can, as you certainly do not want to miss out on this fantastic page turner.

*Huge thanks to Hot Key Books for sending me this in exchange for an honest review! In no way has this affected my opinion of the novel. 

Nhận xét

Popular Posts

SWORD OF SOTER by @RaleneBurke w/ @PrismBookTours #GuestPost #SOSPrism #Giveaway

On Tour with Prism Book Tours Sword of Soter (Sacred Armor Trilogy #2) By Ralene Burke YA Fantasy, Christian Paperback & ebook, 275 Pages September 25th 2019 by Elk Lake Publishing Inc NEW KINGDOM. NEW FRIENDS. NEW DANGERS. NOT EVERYONE CAN BE TRUSTED … Karina, Tristian, Rashka, and Sam venture forth into the wilderness of Soter on the next leg of their quest to retrieve the Armor of the Creator. With the ancient evil already affecting the kingdom, nothing in Soter is what it seems—from what skulks beneath the canopies of the woods to what lies within the sleek white and gold of the capitol city to the people Karina and Tristan have known since they were children. Danger lurks around every corner. Discerning who to trust is paramount to staying alive and discovering the location of the Temple of Soter. Yet, to Karina’s horror, Faramos’s reach finds them time and again. The longer they are forced to dawdle, the more people are affected by the growing panic in Soter, and the ...

Grand Finale: CLAIMING THE DRAKOS HEIR by @JenniferFaye34 w/ @PrismBookTours #Giveaway #Free #Bookmark

On Tour with Prism Book Tours Book Tour Grand Finale for Claiming the Drakos Heir By Jennifer Faye We hope you enjoyed the tour! If you missed any of the stops you'll find snippets, as well as the link to each full post, below: Launch - Note from the Author Hi. :-) Thank you for joining me with the launch for the second book in the Greek Island Brides trilogy ~ CLAIMING THE DRAKOS HEIR. When a freak accident kills Popi’s adopted sister and brother-in-law, she is left carrying her sister’s baby. Agreeing to be a surrogate had been a big decision for Popi and one she hadn’t taken lightly. And now that her sister is gone, it is up to Popi to step up and raise the child of her heart. . . It's All About the Romance - Excerpt Her life was about to change in so many ways, as the baby was due in a couple of weeks. Not long at all— Knock-knock. Knock-knock. So much for ignoring them. “Anyone home?” A male voice called out through the open window. Who could that be? Popi wasn’t expecti...

Book Review: Department 19 by Will Hill

Title:  Department 19 Author:  Will Hill Series:   Department 19, #1 Pages:   489 Publisher:  HarperCollins Children's Books Date of Publication:  1st September, 2011 Source:  Bought Synopsis from Goodreads: Jamie Carpenter's life will never be the same. His father is dead, his mother is missing, and he was just rescued by an enormous man named Frankenstein. Jamie is brought to Department 19, where he is pulled into a secret organization responsible for policing the supernatural, founded more than a century ago by Abraham Van Helsing and the other survivors of Dracula. Aided by Frankenstein's monster, a beautiful vampire girl with her own agenda, and the members of the agency, Jamie must attempt to save his mother from a terrifyingly powerful vampire. "Department 19" takes us through history, across Europe, and beyond - from the cobbled streets of Victorian London to prohibition-era New York, from the icy wastes of Arctic Russia to the treac...

Free $100